It is important to be aware that although herbal colon cleansing and detox products are entirely natural there may be side effects. However, because herbal colon cleansing is natural, any side effects will be unpleasant rather than harmful.
For natural health therapists, the potential side effects of a herbal colon cleanse (or any type of detox regime) are known as a “healing crisis” – a brief period where the body seems to get worse before it gets better. A healing crisis is considered a positive sign that a colon detox is working.
In a nutshell, a healing crisis is caused by the release of accumulated toxins into the body faster than the body can eliminate them. The greater the build up of toxic waste in your colon and the faster it is released (the more potent the herbal cleanser), the more likely you are to experience some side effects from herbal colon cleansing.
Side effects may include:
Chills or low-grade fever
Joint and muscle pains
Preventing side effects
Although a healing crisis is a good sign that a herbal cleanser is working, it is not necessary to suffer! There are several things you can do to minimize the likelihood or severity of side effects:
- Learn about the ingredients in herbal colon cleansers and which act more gently and slowly than others.
- Choose a quality herbal colon cleansing product that has been on the market for some time – evidence of satisfied customers. Popular products usually have a high profile online and will be recommended by health store assistants.
- Reduce the dose if necessary, to slow down the speed of detoxification.
- Drink plenty of water, to dilute the toxin load.
- Take saunas or hot steamy baths with Epsom salts to help the body eliminate toxins through the skin.
- Exercise, to sweat out toxins and promote motility – the movement of waste through the colon.
Many people experiment with different herbal colon cleansers to find one that does an efficient job of cleansing the colon with tolerable side effects.
Of course you may find that you have very few side effects from herbal colon cleansing, possibly a sign that your colon is relatively clean.
If you suspect this is not the case, due to many years of neglecting the health of your colon, you may want to consider gradually increasing the dose of your herbal colon cleanser for optimum results (as seen in your toilet bowl!) and minimal side effects.
Remember, if concerned about the potential or actual side effects of herbal colon cleansing, consult your doctor.
Copyright 2008 Lindy Sinclair